M&S is the latest brand to withdraw advertising from Google

M&S is the latest brand to withdraw advertising from Google

M&S is the latest brand to withdraw advertising from Google

"Alphabet's Google is facing a serious issue in the United Kingdom with brand safety issues, which has global repercussions", Mr. Wieser wrote in an investor note on Monday.

Google's European head, Matt Brittin, is due to address delegates to the Advertising Week Europe conference on Monday, while Mark Howe, head of Google's agencies business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, is also due to speak at the event.

Michael Roth, CEO of Interpublic Group (IPG), said the advertising agency holding wasn't ruling out freezing its spend with Google if it didn't fix the issue of ads appearing next to extremist content. "News that the U.K. Cabinet Office has withdrawn government adverts from YouTube after its adverts were shown alongside hate material is another sign of increasing concerns from advertisers about the potential damage to their brands from online advertising", he wrote.

"We are sorry to hear of anybody that's been affected, we are working hard to improve policy, controls and enforcement, there will be more specifics very soon, and we are working on that with the industry".

News of this first broke on The Straits Times, which reported that a NEA video advertisement was found on a website, which it claimed had articles supporting the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

Germany 'owes vast sums' to NATO, US for defense
Donald Trump has dismissed reports of him seemingly snubbing Angela Merkel's request for a handshake as " fake news ". However, former foreign secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind said it was not enough to promise not to repeat the allegation.

Manchester United watching Romelu Lukaku's situation at Everton
Chelsea have been linked with a move for their former player, while Manchester United are also reported to be interested. Recently Lukaku hinted that he needs Champions League football to be taken seriously as a world-class striker.

CB House returning to Packers for second stint
He had a career-high four starts last season, and finished that season with 30 tackles, two passes defended and one sack. The Packers previously declined their fifth-year option on Jones that is built into every first-round pick's contract.

Among other things, MPs criticized the technology company for refusing to remove a YouTube video featuring notable white supremacist David Duke and entitled "Jews admit organizing white genocide", arguing it did not breach its rules on hate speech despite admitting that the content was "anti-Semitic, deeply offensive and shocking".

"We have always said Google, Facebook and others are media companies and have the same responsibilities as any other media company", he said.

And indeed, many brands are taking things into their own hands and cutting ties with Google. Even YouTube's biggest star PewDiePie, Felix Kjellberg, was tarnished after joking about anti-Semitism.

Nevertheless, videos from the group remain on YouTube. The Independent reports that Sky, Barclays and Vodafone are believed to be making plans to withdraw their ads as well.

"The approach comes across to us as attempting to minimize the problem rather than eliminating it, which is the standard we think that many large brand advertisers expect", Wieser said.

Related news